JOURNALISM & DESIGN EXPERIENCE
Graphic / Multimedia Designer for Oceana
September 2012 – Present
• Work as the sole print and online designer for Oceana, an international organization focused on protecting the world’s oceans. Design materials such as magazines, social media graphics, posters, event invitations, public service ads and annual reports. Shoot photos at various events. Oversee the printing process.
Graphic Designer for University Marketing and Design at Washington University in St. Louis
August 2011 – August 2012
• Design marketing materials for Washington University in St. Louis. Create a wide range of materials from brochures to viewbooks to website designs. Art direct projects and manage freelance designers. Oversee printing and press checks.
Graphic Designer for University of Missouri Health Care
November 2009 – July 2011
• Worked full-time as a graphic designer in MU Health Care’s public relations and marketing division. Designed projects such as magazines, booklets, posters, logos, T-shirts, brochures, website mockups and e-newsletter templates. Prepared and saw all work through the printing process. Art directed photo shoots. Supervised interns and assisted in interviewing and hiring new designers.
Carnegie and Knight News 21 Fellow
May 2009 – July 2009
• Worked full-time to develop a multimedia package about energy and demographics at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. Did interactive design, video editing, research, interviewing and marketing during the fellowship. Project lives on the Web at Poweringanation.org
Graphic Designer at The Design Center
January 2007 – June 2009
• Worked part-time to design posters, newspaper ads, handbills, T-shirts and logos for campus events at The University of Missouri – Columbia.
Magazine Design Teaching Assistant
August 2007 – May 2008, January – May 2009
• Taught a lab section of Magazine Design in the Missouri School of Journalism as undergraduate and graduate assistanships. Gave lectures covering the use of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator to senior and graduate students. Critiqued students’ designs, offered artistic guidance and graded projects.
Online Editor of Vox Magazine
August 2008 – January 2009
• Administered the production of Voxmagazine.com as a graduate assistanship. Oversaw video, audio and interactive graphic projects. Organized and developed a production system for convergence projects for following semesters.
Intern at Conde Nast’s Cookie Magazine
June 2008 – August 2008
• Spent a summer in New York assisting editors with daily activities and writing posts for the Nesting blog on Cookiemag.com. Represented the home department at product reviews and trade shows.
Editorial Assistant at Inside Columbia Magazine
• Wrote feature stories and assisted the editor-in-chief with daily tasks. Wrote copy for several monthly departments.
Intern at University Marketing and Design at Washington University in St. Louis
Summers 2005, 2006
• Wrote articles for newsletters. Helped design brochures and magazine sections.
University of Missouri – Columbia
Master of Arts in Journalism – Multimedia Design
• Graduated in December 2009 with a 3.85 GPA
• Research Focus: Online development in the magazine industry. Conducted in-depth interviews with editors at New York magazine, Businessweek and Entertainment Weekly.
University of Missouri – Columbia
Bachelor of Journalism – Magazine Design
Minor in Art History and Archaeology
• Graduated May 2008 with Magna Cum Laude honors
• Earned 24 hours of honors course credit
• In addition to my focus in magazine design, I completed a capstone in magazine writing.
InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Powerpoint, Word
Basic knowledge of WordPress, Flash, Dreamweaver, XHTML, CSS, After Effects, Final Cut Pro
The Gathering United Methodist Church in St. Louis
Designed the graphic style of gatheringnow.org, which I applied to other materials including signage for the two church sites. Help design other materials as needed.
COCA (Center of Creative Arts)
Serve as an usher at various events including plays, dance performances and book readings/signings.
• University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill Multimedia Bootcamp (May 2009)
• How Design Conference – Boston (May 2008)
• How Design Conference – Atlanta (June 2007)
• At The University of Missouri: Flash I, Flash II, Dreamweaver I, Photoshop, Illustrator